View current openings
Do something that matters
Healthcare has a data problem. Over a billion patient documents are created per year. This data should be used to improve healthcare delivery, but it isn’t – because it’s stored in different places, in different forms, and is of different quality. Apixio’s cognitive computing platform is built specifically to address this problem. Join us, and help change healthcare.
About SeanSean is an office MVP because not only is he a back-end engineering ninja, but he also brews amazing homemade beer for our Friday happy hours. Sean came from Cisco's security group and now works on our Scala microservices. On the weekends he likes to take his dogs out on the beach in Half Moon Bay.
About VishWe call Vishnu “The Professor” because his data science and computational linguistics knowledge knows no bounds. Vishnu studied computer science at USC. He then worked on Yahoo Search’s Applied Sciences team before coming to Apixio as one of our earliest employees. In his spare time, Vishnu likes watching science fiction movies, biking and photography.
About LilithLilith is one of the most spirited members of our engineering team. She studied electrical engineering and computer science at UC Berkeley and interned at Cloudtalk. On weekends, Lilith can be found rocking out to the latest K-pop, hanging out with her eight snakes, and skiing in Tahoe.
Read about the cool stuff we’re working on, like machine learning and a scalable analytics pipeline.
Competitive salary, meaningful equity
Exceptional medical, dental and vision
Catered lunch, healthy snacks and drinks
Modern, open-concept office in San Mateo
MacBook products, jackets and more
Parties, picnics and Friday happy hour
Quirky, open, cohesive culture
Paid vacation and holiday weekends
Senior Data Scientist
As a Senior Data Scientist with Apixio you will work with the Data Science team to develop features and solutions to understand the true health of patients. You will work on difficult but interesting and rewarding challenges that deeply impact the healthcare industry.
- Perform large-scale data analyses
- Develop algorithms and conduct experiment design
- Build and deploy scalable systems that employ machine learning algorithms
- Design, architecture, development, code review, and testing
- 6+ years experience in data science and machine learning with a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or empirical science
- 2+ years experience building scalable software solutions that employ machine learning algorithms and data mining libraries
- Strong mathematical and statistical background, with a thorough understanding of probability
- Strong data analysis and manipulation skills
- Software engineering skills with coding experience using Java/Scala and Python.
- Experience working with high-performance computing in distributed and parallel systems
- Great communication skills, innovative and self-starter
- Comfortable juggling multiple projects, demonstrated strong work ethic
Nice to Have
- Prior experience building recommendation systems and/or Natural Language Processing solutions
- Healthcare domain expertise
- Experience presenting research in conferences or technical forums
- Experience working on technical side projects or open-source contributions
- Have developed Data Science solutions in Ad Tech or Web Search
Lead UI/UX Designer
Lead UI/UX Designer
The Lead UI/UX Designer will report to the Director of Product Management and will create simple and beautiful user experiences. As an integral part of the Product team, you will be responsible for designing customer-facing applications, developing data visualizations and leading user research. You will work with incredibly smart healthcare and technology experts who share a common goal: to improve the healthcare industry.
- Lead the visual redesign of multiple applications to create an amazing experience for our users.
- Develop data visualizations that distill complex concepts into useful insights.
- Own the user experience for our application workflows, prioritizing efficiency and ease of use.
- Create designs that balance the needs of our customers with our internal Operations team.
- Leverage existing design patterns and conventions when possible. When they don’t exist, solve these problems in creative ways.
- Lead user research and usability testing to inform your design decisions.
- Define UI specifications and partner with engineering to deliver polished features.
- Significant UX experience with a highly refined visual aesthetic.
- B2B design experience (with a critical eye toward underwhelming enterprise software).
- Excited about data visualization.
- Experience leading user research, developing prototypes, conducting usability studies and deriving insights.
- Comfort with complex systems and technology and the willingness to ask questions when you don’t understand.
- Adept at switching between MVP designs and polished, pixel perfect work. (We’ll help you make the judgement call.)
- Flexible and willing to wear multiple hats.
Manager, Data Integrations
Manager, Data Integrations
The Apixio Manager of Data Integrations, will ensure that Apixio customers can successfully, efficiently, and securely transfer relevant data to the Apixio platform. The Manager will work with Apixio customers to determine the optimal data integration strategy and will work Apixio internal teams to optimize the data integration process and toolset. The Data Integrations manager will supervise the Data Integrations Team. The team is part of the Apixio Customer Operations organization and is responsible for successful acquisition, mapping and loading of customer data into the primary Apixio ETL pipelines. The team coordinates efforts between internal resources and customers in support of custom integration development and is generates reports on project data status. Apixio’s Data Integration team members are hybrid technology and consulting resources that have strong technology, communications and management skills and are key to successful customer onboarding and project success.
- Work directly with customers to advise and determine their data integration strategy. Oversee and manage the acquisition and loading of customer data into the Apixio platform. This includes data acquisition, mapping, validation, processing and loading. Educate customers on their responsibilities, data requirements and delivery schedules required for a successful project execution
- Work closely with the engineering and product management team to improve the operational efficiency and controls of the data integration process. This may include development of new tools and methods for data ingest and integration of new systems.
- Supervise team of data integration specialists and ensure that all team members are be able to:
- Manage all data aspects of a customer engagement from initial contact through successful ingest in the Apixio systems. Coordinate with customer in order to manage expectations and timelines
- Develop manifest of all customer data received. Validate complete delivery of data by customer and complete and verify all mapping into the Apixio system
- Monitor and communicate data integrity to customers using strong customer service skills
- Perform necessary data mapping and transformation to prepare for validation and loading
- Communicate with project stakeholders to ensure project timeline integrity
Management – Experience as a team lead or manager; demonstrated ability to supervise employees and run teams.
Product development – Experience working with a product team to improve a product, process or service.
Technical – Demonstrated hands-on experience with data integrations. Strong technical knowledge of ETL techniques and data integration tools like Informatica Cloud. In addition, programming skills in one or more languages like Shell, Python, SQL, Linux, or Oracle RDBMS are essential. Experience working within multiple operating system environments is a plus.
Healthcare – Fluency with healthcare data a must. Candidate should have experience acquiring and mapping healthcare data between systems and be knowledgeable of file layouts and structures and one or more electronic health record systems like Epic, NextGen, or Centricity. Familiarity with the Medicare Advantage market and related healthcare file formats like 837 and RAPS is desired.
Communication – Candidate must have the strong communication skills necessary to relay complex data integration requirements to team members and customers.
Attention to Detail – Strong organizational and planning skills are essential. The candidate will be expected to manage the data mapping and integration work on multiple projects working with project managers, customers and engineering teams.
Critical Thinking – Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work independently when needed, applying critical thinking and problem solving to achieve a positive outcome.
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in business or technical field required, degree in computer science or software engineering preferred.
At least 7 years of work experience in healthcare business analysis or software development required.
Senior Backend Engineer - Data Integrations
As a Senior Backend Engineer you will own one or more components of our platform. You should enjoy collaborating with others on solutions to interesting problems. In addition, you will work side-by-side with other engineers on architecture, integration and maintenance of the platform developing solutions to streamline our Customer Operations efforts.
- Work hands on with the Data Integration team to define and develop tools for the efficient tracking and processing of customer data
- Maintaining and improving our suite of data integration tools
- Develop ETL pipelines for the automated processing of customer data
- Design, Architecture, Development, Code Review, and Testing of key system areas including:
- Extensible Analytics Pipeline
- Streamlined customer data acquisition with Apixio InfoStream
- Direct EHR Data Integration via API and SQL
- High Availability RESTful web services
- Data Management Layer
- Security Architecture
- Logging and Monitoring Infrastructure
- Rapidly prototype and iterate on tools to ensure timelines and customer needs are met
- Expert-level programming skills in JVM languages such as Java / Scala
- Expert with data manipulation and analysis with tools like
- Expert skills manipulating structured data files
- Python, Shell scripting & common Linux Tools
- Regular Expression and Data Manipulation tools
- Proficiency in Software Development Best Practices (SCM / Unit Tests)
- Deployed customer-facing software into a Production Environment
- Demonstrated ownership of large projects or feature sets
- Knowledge of Healthcare Standards
Nice to have
- Healthcare domain expertise
- Experience in specific EHR Systems (EPIC; Cerner; Meditech; Allscripts; NextGen; eClinicalWorks
- Experience working on technical side projects or open source contributions